Saturday, July 15, 2017

Hyper By: John A. Autero



Hyper
By: John A. Autero

Right on the front cover this book states: “Evil doesn’t have a problem finding the middle of nowhere.”

Charlie Kennedy is in outer space on Decontamination Depot 315. And wouldn’t you know it, while he is stationed here, people are being brutally murdered. And the icing on the cake? Some set the self-destruct to go off. 

There is a goody-two-shoes from Kansas who seems like he wants to be everyone’s friends, and a Russian soldier type, Crime Syndicate, as well as a prisoner who came to visit the depot, who has been convicted of many murders, who could be likely suspects. 

But then again, who knows, because in this book, one minute you think it’s one person, and the next, you think it’s another. And we all know mankind is the ultimate evil. But just when you think you have the mystery solved, there is another twist thrown at you that will make your head spin.

This book will keep you guessing, and questioning yourself, all the while rooting for Charlie to save the day. An extremely entertaining space mystery that will keep you on your toes every step of the way. Worthy of five-stars, and more! You will want to read it, and will be truly impressed with this story, I promise you. It is unlike any sci-fi story you have read, a true edge of seat mystery with non-stop action! I loved it all the way to the end!


Here are my questions for John:

1. What made you decide to write this and how long did it take you?

About four years ago, I was chatting with a person about reviewing one of my earlier books called “Footprints”. We were discussing different types of novel genres and the classic, who-done-it was brought up in conversation. It was as if a bolt of lightning shot through my body and I knew I had to write one. It took about two years to write “HYPER”.


2. Did you do any special research for this novel?

A little. I wanted the technical aspect of the story to be fairly accurate even though it takes place in the future. I read about the element hydrogen and infused some of its technical specifications into the story. (most abundant element in the universe, harvesting it from space to use as fuel, it will ignite with as low as four percent diluted in the atmosphere) I also read some interesting facts about Mars, which has a prominent place in the book, even though we never get a chance to visit there. Did you know, the length of an Earth day and a Martian day is almost the same? (23:56:04 for Earth vs 24:39:35 for Mars)

3. Who designed the cover of Hyper?

I wanted to improve the cover design of HYPER as compared to my first two books. So, I sought out a professional designer (one I could afford) but he seemed to be very “uneasy” to work with. I had a look and feel in mind and he wasn’t interested and wanted to go in a different direction. So, I decided not to employ him. What I ended up doing is purchasing a picture from Shutterstock and a custom font and making it myself. The picture on the cover is depicting Decontamination Depot 315, which is a space craft refueling station (a gas station so to speak). I thought the pods and the green and red indicator lights seemed very appropriate. I think it came out good and unless I get hired by some enormous publishing company, I plan to keep doing them myself. (One side note: On the back cover of the paperback, as well as the copy right page inside the book, I mention the cover was designed by “Oscar A. Wiggy Imagination Company”. Oscar A. Wiggy was my nick name in high school and all of my schoolmates still call me either Oscar or Wiggy when I see them.)

4. What are you working on now?

I’m working on a follow up to “The Scorpion”. Bruce gets involved in a second adventure that gets him mixed up with a government coverup to hide information pertaining to the “NASA - landing on the moon project”. It doesn’t follow the common “The moon shot was a hoax” conspiracy that has already been beat to death. It takes it in a different direction, I’m hoping one that everybody will find interesting. Release date is probably in 2019.


5. How long have you been a writer and what made you want to be a writer when-- (I mean if) you grew up? LOL


6. Have you ever had writers block and if so what is a good remedy for it? If not- same thing though... 🙃 

When I started to write my current book, (It has a Working Name of “Moonshot”, but I highly doubt that’s what it will be called… anyways, the follow up to “The Scorpion”) I felt a little lost at first. I had my story mapped out well and my main characters developed, but it just didn’t seem to click with me. So, I let it sit for a few weeks while I worked on getting “HYPER” loaded up on Goodreads and Amazon. When I picked it up again, I started by reviewing my story map. I had tossed around some ideas in my head during the two-week period and I incorporated them into the plot. I love misdirection, and I feel the new ideas did a really good job of “pointing to one thing, while a second is happening behind your back”. When I got back to writing, my heart was racing and my fingers flying with new enthusiasm.


7. What are your hobbies?

I like to dabble in lots of things. I like baseball cards. I like classic cars. I have a 1970 El Camino I play around with now and again. I like drag racing (check out my author pic). I love fire arms. I love the mechanics of how they work and the power you feel when shooting one. (I guess it’s similar to stomping on the gas pedal in the El Camino.) I was born a Cubs fan (thanks Dad) which had been kind of a curse until 2016. I cried when they won, because my dad wasn’t around to see it. I like heavy rock and metal. I still go to concerts (Iron Maiden, KISS, Testament), and I went to see Def Leppard last year. I think it keeps me young. I also have a dog and cat, which I guess isn’t really a hobby since they are a part of the family. Daisy is my puppy (even though she just turned eight) and Taz is my cat.

8. Please share with us your social media and book links:::

Goodreads – HYPER –

Goodreads – Author –

Amazon –

Twitter –



9. Anything to add?
Deneale – Thank you very much for reviewing my book and allowing me the chance to promote HYPER and talk about some topics on your website. If you have any ideas on how I can improve my writing, I would love to hear them. I am trying to build my writing skills with each book I write, so I would love to hear your thoughts. If you have any words of wisdom as far as promotion goes, I would be interested to hear those as well. Services and websites like yours seem to be few and far between.







HyperHyper by John A. Autero
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Right on the front cover this book states: “Evil doesn’t have a problem finding the middle of nowhere.”

Charlie Kennedy is in outer space on Decontamination Depot 315. And wouldn’t you know it, while he is stationed here, people are being brutally murdered. And the icing on the cake? Some set the self-destruct to go off.

There is a goody-two-shoes from Kansas who seems like he wants to be everyone’s friends, and a Russian soldier type, Crime Syndicate, as well as a prisoner who came to visit the depot, who has been convicted of many murders, who could be likely suspects.


But then again, who knows, because in this book, one minute you think it’s one person, and the next, you think it’s another. And we all know mankind is the ultimate evil. But just when you think you have the mystery solved, there is another twist thrown at you that will make your head spin.

This book will keep you guessing, and questioning yourself, all the while rooting for Charlie to save the day. An extremely entertaining space mystery that will keep you on your toes every step of the way. Worthy of five-stars, and more! You will want to read it, and will be truly impressed with this story, I promise you. It is unlike any sci-fi story you have read, a true edge of seat mystery with non-stop action! I loved it all the way to the end!



View all my reviews



 

No comments:

Post a Comment