Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Life in its Rawest Form: A True Story of Perseverance & Triumph By: Qiana Hicks



Life in its Rawest Form:
A True Story of Perseverance and Triumph
By Qiana Hicks

     Upon receiving this book, I admired the beautiful cover. At first, I thought it was just a beautiful woman, until you look closer into the blouse that she is wearing and see. Within the blouse, you can see a lingering past dwelling up, and then you look at the smiling face again, and you can see where the end word on the title of this book, helped to make that smile shine.
     Then, I started reading this book, and could feel my throat knot up as I read. A little girl who had to deal with so much at such young age, striving to succeed, no matter what came her way. 
     Qiana and her siblings had drug addicted parents. So often, as a child, Qiana would try to stop her parents from getting high or even intoxicated, only to fail. With sadness to see her efforts lost, Qiana often wished she could just disappear into another reality, with better parents; and take her siblings with her. So many times, Qiana didn’t even understand why her and her siblings had to tolerate such neglect and abuse. There had to be another way, something better, or even a reason. 

     Finally, rescued at the age of fifteen, Qiana and her siblings are taken away from her parents and put into foster care, and group homes, and even shelters too. Alas, she thinks there is hope. But because of the frequent transitions from place to place, Qiana herself ends up pregnant. 
     Although this seemed like a step in the wrong direction, Qiana refused to deem it as such. She refused t turn out anything like her parents. She was going to be different, if it took everything she had.
     Qiana struggled, with her bruised ego, low self-esteem, and a child, and managed to strive toward the top. Wanting and looking for jobs, not a handout. She wanted to make something of herself, not ask for help, not depend on someone else to give it to her, or help her. She wanted to be the story for her own success. To Qiana, failure was not an option, and she was going to be the best person, and mother she could be. 
     Qiana shares with you, the reader, her story. She opens her heart, her hurt, and lets you the reader in. She wants you to see, that although you may have had a bad road behind you, that yes, you can make a difference, and a new start.

     Through Qiana’s own words, she wants to help you, the reader, see that you are a person, just as she was, and is, to this day; and that you matter. Her words are insightful, and truly eye opening. 

     This book is truly an amazing read, you need to read it. I was truly uplifted, and found a new vision through Qiana and her words. I think you will too! This is a five-star read, worth sharing with your family and friends!

Here are my questions for Qiana:
1. What made you write this book and how long did it take you?
It took me a year and a half to write my fist book, the memior. I wrote a second, companion workbook, thereafter. I chose to write the book because I wanted to release a number of memories from my past that I had been harboring for some time. I also wanted to share my story with other disadvantaged youth, parents who battle addiction, family services professionals who work with families in crisis, centers or facilities that house disadvantaged youth due to their conditions at home, and people in general who may come in contact with these families. I wanted the youth and young adults of a disadvantaged upbringing to know that they are not alone. Although they grew up in unfortunate conditions and circumstances, that should not keep them for dreaming and hoping of a better, brighter future someday. Our environments or past experiences cannot break us or stop us from having better. Only we can ourselves. I also wanted to bring awareness to parents who battle addiction the trauma their behaviors have on their children and loved ones. I wanted to share with family service professionals, foster homes and group homes how they can help make a positive difference in the children our youth life as they reside with them.  


2. Do you have any photos to go along with this book to share with us? 
I did not include any photos in my book.


3. What inspires you to write?
Writing was a form of therapy for me. It brought clarity to some of the things from my past I struggled with. And writing allowed me to share things that I would normally be afraid to share with others, directly. Writing was always a peaceful experience for me.


4. What are you working on now?
Promoting and marketing my book, as well as looking for opportunities to perform speaking engagements and provide mentoring and advocacy to youth and young adults of similar backgrounds.


5. What are your hobbies?
Since I've started writing, I haven't had many hobbies outside of it. 


6. What is your favorite book of all time?
Coming of Age in Mississippi by Anne Moody.


7. Did writing this book help you realize or achieve any goals?
It did. I set out to gain understanding and clarity for some of the things that occurred in my past that I never understood beforehand.


8. Has your book helped others?
My book was just recently published, so it is too early to see the difference it makes with others.



9. Please share with us your social media and book links:
This is a work in progress. So far, the only social media platform I have is Instagram (words_inspire). Others are soon to come.



Life in Its Rawest Form: A True Story of Perseverance and TriumphLife in Its Rawest Form: A True Story of Perseverance and Triumph by Qiana S Hicks
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Upon receiving this book, I admired the beautiful cover. At first, I thought it was just a beautiful woman, until you look closer into the blouse that she is wearing and see. Within the blouse, you can see a lingering past dwelling up, and then you look at the smiling face again, and you can see where the end word on the title of this book, helped to make that smile shine.

Then, I started reading this book, and could feel my throat knot up as I read. A little girl who had to deal with so much at such young age, striving to succeed, no matter what came her way.

Qiana and her siblings had drug addicted parents. So often, as a child, Qiana would try to stop her parents from getting high or even intoxicated, only to fail. With sadness to see her efforts lost, Qiana often wished she could just disappear into another reality, with better parents; and take her siblings with her. So many times, Qiana didn’t even understand why her and her siblings had to tolerate such neglect and abuse. There had to be another way, something better, or even a reason.

Finally, rescued at the age of fifteen, Qiana and her siblings are taken away from her parents and put into foster care, and group homes, and even shelters too. Alas, she thinks there is hope. But because of the frequent transitions from place to place, Qiana herself ends up pregnant.

Although this seemed like a step in the wrong direction, Qiana refused to deem it as such. She refused t turn out anything like her parents. She was going to be different, if it took everything she had.

Qiana struggled, with her bruised ego, low self-esteem, and a child, and managed to strive toward the top. Wanting and looking for jobs, not a handout. She wanted to make something of herself, not ask for help, not depend on someone else to give it to her, or help her. She wanted to be the story for her own success. To Qiana, failure was not an option, and she was going to be the best person, and mother she could be.

Qiana shares with you, the reader, her story. She opens her heart, her hurt, and lets you the reader in. She wants you to see, that although you may have had a bad road behind you, that yes, you can make a difference, and a new start. Through Qiana’s own words, she wants to help you, the reader, see that you are a person, just as she was, and is, to this day; and that you matter. Her words are insightful, and truly eye opening.

This book is truly an amazing read, you need to read it. I was truly uplifted, and found a new vision through Qiana and her words. I think you will too! This is a five-star read, worth sharing with your family and friends!


View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment